Cannabis is becoming a topic of conversation. It is time to educate yourself regarding cannabis.
CBD (cannabidiol), a cannabis compound, is rapidly becoming one of the most popular foods. CBD is undergowing research to prove the health benefits of CBD. In addition to the “Green Revolution” in the Western United States, a wide variety of clinical studies have also helped shift the conversation about cannabis.
CANNABIS THE EVIL WEED
In the past the cannabis plant has been stigmatized, and treated as “evil” in the national dialogue.
Reefer Madness painted a caricatured picture of cannabis that the facts simply did not support.
Recently, many influential doctors in the mainstream have advocated for CBD specifically, and medical cannabis generally. Independent polling routinely demonstrates that a hearty majority of voters in the United States favor legalizing cannabis for its many medicinal uses.
CHANGING THE Cannabis STIGMA
We will need to remove the social stigma and institutional misperceptions of the past. New information can help us make better-informed decisions about our personal health.
The cannabis plant has been an important agricultural staple for thousands of years.
Being used for its hemp fiber, oils, medicines, and foods. Hemp has gained varying levels of interactions with human civilizations, socially and economically, for generations. It has only been in the recent past that the cannabis plant has been purposely demonized by moneyed interests.
The DIFFERENCE Between Marijuana and Hemp
Cannabis is a genus of flowering plant in the family Cannabaceae, with three species of offspring.
- Sativa – Tenda to grow taller and thinner. Sativa strains tend to have long leaves with thin long blades. The buds of Sativa strains are likely to be long, sausage-shaped flowers.
- Indica – Tends to grow shorter and bushier. Indica strains tend to have wide, short leaves with short wide blades. The buds of Indica strains tend to be wide, dense and bulky.
- Ruderalis – very short and produces only trace amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Each species has a unique profile of compounds which have numerous effects.
The most famous of these compounds is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which produces the well-known psychoactive effect. Certain cannabis strains have been bred for generations intending to maximize the presence of this compound.
Cannabis with high levels of THC has been classified as marijuana. Since the early 1930’s marijuana has been criminalized. It was named with an exotic-sounding alternative to produce fear and uncertainty.
Similarly, certain species and strains have been breed with a low level of THC. These plants are called hemp. Hemp has been bred with an eye toward minimizing the presence of psychoactive characteristics and instead focus on accentuating the presence of CBD or one of the other 30+ cannabinoids contained in the cannabis plant.
Hemp crops are becoming tremendously valuable worldwide. We still fight a battle resulting from the propaganda campaigns that have convinced generations that cannabis is dangerous
All cannabis plants were scheduled as a Federal Class I Substance. Deeming all cannabis as dangerous as heroin and cocaine. This scheduling was more centered around the THC rather than the full benefits of the whole-plant with low THC.
Hemp is beneficial to a healthy lifestyle
- Hemp contains none of the mind-altering characteristics of the marijuana cannabis.
- Hemp is useful as a textile fiber, and in the production of thousands of different products.
- Hemp oil is one of the healthiest oils on the planet.
- Hemp is known to be the best source of all the essential fatty acids and all three Omega’s.
- Hemp contains some important amino acids, including GHA, which is usually only found in mother’s milk.
CBD Health Benefits
Of particular interest is the high amount of cannabidiol (CBD) in hemp. This important chemical compound is what makes cannabis-based extracts one of the best natural products to complement wellness.
CBD is well-known for enhancing calm and promoting sleep. Hemp is gaining prestige as being terrific for muscle recovery and as a beneficial staple for general wellness.
Those who have discovered CBD products made from hemp are raving about the benefits.